Sunday, April 20, 2014

An ode to gravel

All smiles on a gravel-centric ride in Ouachita National Forest
(Perryville, AR-- right outside of Little Rock)

I must admit to a somewhat surreptitious love affair: I adore gravel. In the realm of mountain biking, this is a minority position and a polarizing declaration, to say the least. I know many, many riders that will do whatever is in their power to avoid setting wheel on these backwoods roads. They speak of gravel with a head shake, and a facial expression conveying enough distaste and revulsion that I know it is advisable to keep my enthusiasm under wraps. And when the inevitable bashing following an ab-clenching gravel climb occurs (a requisite debriefing in my experience), I try to dim the wattage on my manic smile and nod, head down. But the truth is: I love gravel. And lest you brand me a repressed roadie or a training zealot (gotta get the miles, man), allow me to illumine my gravel-loving worldview.

1. Gravel, at its essence, is the chillest medium of mountain biking. On a long ride interspersed with single track, it provides the chance to unclench, spin, and zone out to the prettiness of the day. You can (possibly) recover. You can chat with friends. Or you can just shut up and get into a really direct rhythm. I love its straightforwardness. 

2. Gravel climbing is fun. Unlike technical single track climbs (which I also enjoy) you can dig in, set a pace, and just move. In most cases (exception: we've all been on gnarly, rutted, pot-hole studded gravel roads-- or, ones with ridiculously large rocks) technique and bike handling are not on the forefront-- rather, just pedaling in a sustainable way is. I find the satisfaction of approaching what appears to be a really steep, demanding climb and grinding to its conclusion to be exhilarating. Its simplicity is rewarding.

3. Gravel flats are fun. Even if I'm exhausted, gravel flats perk me up. Again, the simplicity of the process is enlivening and rejuvenating. If you're with a friend (or a few), it's soo fun to throwback to the childhood years and crank and race each other. Who hasn't done this? It's awesome!

4. Gravel descending is fun. Long lines of sight? Check. Easily attainable high speeds? Check. Sunshine and wind in your face? Maybe a butt-clinching, life-affirming spin out here and there on some loose corners? Check and check. I love hauling ass down gravel! Sure, it's essential to ride in control and defensively, anticipating cars around every corner. Stay on the right side. Don't ride on your buddy's wheel. Corner competently or you'll have a bad time. But if you're obeying the basics and not riding like a dingus, gravel descents are amazing. I would also argue that approaching gravel descents with more confidence and speed has made me a stronger rider, improving my cornering, balance, coordination, and stopping ability. There is something just so literally sweet feeling about dropping down thousands of feet on a fast, curvy, gravel road with the wind in your face and your stomach close to your throat.

5. Gravel rides are fun. Okay, this is where the real heresy is committed. But I love gravel so much-- all its parts-- that I am unopposed to and welcome solely gravel rides. Now, I would never choose gravel over single track. But, when the trails are in shitty condition, the weather's dicey, time is tight, or injuries are being nursed, gravel is a good friend. You're outside, in the woods getting an infusion of that which all of us mountain biking weirdos are obsessed with: sweaty, sunny time on two wheels. 

All of this build up is to say: I love gravel. And yesterday, I went on an amazing gravel ride with my new friend Cliff, of the local bike shop Spokes. I am recovering from a really impressive crash sustained on the Wednesday group ride out of the shop and was wanting to get in a solid ride despite not being ready to tackle trails. Cliff suggested a 30 mile loop out in the Lake Sylvia area of Ouachita National Forest. So, we drove the half hour outside of Little Rock and sampled a rolling, glorious cornucopia of gravelly loveliness.


A beautiful day! (Not a shabby view, either)

I will be competing in this race in mere weeks. 
Over and out to dive into another gorgeous day.

1 comment: